If you have plans to make your own woodworking projects at home, the internet is a great place to find various types of woodworking plans. You will be able to find good plans for making a range of projects, from small coffee tables to actually building your own boat or putting in a deck in your backyard. No matter what the project you want to build, you’ll be able to find a wide variety of styles for just about every skill level.
However, not all woodworking plans are created equal or are appropriate for every woodworker. Here are some tips for choosing the right plans for your project.
1. Make sure the woodworking plans you are considering are appropriate for your skill level. If you are a beginning woodworker, you probably shouldn’t start out by building a complicated wall cabinet system for your stereo and electronics equipment. Woodworking requires a number of skills that take some practice to acquire. You will need to learn to measure accurately, to use many different power and hand tools, including saws, routers, drills, planes, and sanders, and to properly assemble and finish your projects. If you are a beginner, you will be better advised to start with something simple that will allow you to learn these skills before attempting something complicated that requires buying a lot of expensive materials.
2. Make sure your chosen plans don’t require specialized tools that you don’t have. If a certain project will require ornate work done with a router or lathe – but you don’t have either piece of equipment – you might want to look for something simpler and more appropriate. This may seem pretty obvious, but if you just look at the finished picture of the project and don’t carefully check out the plans before buying, you may not realize the requirements beforehand.
3. Make sure the plans come with a complete materials list including all required hardware. With a good materials list, you will be able to easily acquire the materials you need without spending too much and even determine the total cost before you decide to build the project. If specialized hardware is required that you won’t be able to find locally, make sure there is a suitable place online to order. Find out if the type of wood required is readily available or whether you will need to order online.
4. Make sure there are step by step assembly plans for complex projects. More complicated plans with many pieces often require assembly to be accomplished in a certain order. Make sure the plans you buy specify each step in an understandable manner and give all the information you will require.
5. Before you buy any wooodworking plans, make sure that you carefully check the project dimensions. This won’t be an issue for smaller projects. But if you are planning to build a deck or a wall stereo cabinet, you should carefully measure the space you have available in your home to make sure that the plans you are considering will be appropriate.
Woodworking can be a very satisfying and useful hobby. Not only will you have fun creating new things and improving your skills, but you will also be able to make beautiful and useful projects for your home that will outshine just about anything you could buy already made.
Russell Strider –
About the Author:
Are you looking for a comprehensive 16,000 woodworking plans and projects.